Friday, November 18, 2005

Libertarian?

I just took a whole bunch of online political quizzes -- just for fun. Every time I came out as centrist or slightly Libertarian. In one test I was equated to Colin Powell. In another I was in the group with John Kerry and Gandhi. However, in most discussions I am considered a fairly conservative person. So I was surprised by the results. Why the dichotomy? One interesting point is that many of the tests were run/designed by Libertarian websites. Are Libertarians trying to convince people that they are Libertarian to bolster their ranks? Or maybe these quizzes are dumb. Or maybe we just talk about the wrong issues so I always seem conservative. Not that I'm considering a party switch at this point, but what do you think? Am I a Libertarian at heart?

8 comments:

Justin said...

I get the same thing. I might even call myself a libertarian if it wasn't for the whole stupid- "I can do whatever I want (smoke crack, have sex with sheep, be a Nazi) because you can't regulate my personal liberty!"- bullshit.

... and I'm against throwing my vote away.

RJ said...

yeah - many republicans are probably more in line with the libertarians, especially right now. Bush-Republicans aren't classic conservatives....they have a big government, lots of government involvement, and low government transparency, which are all things that libertarians hate.

I think I'd be the perfect democrat. I mean if I ran for something. I could pull all the swing voters and conservative base. It's just a matter of finding a way to run for office as a democrat without ever having to actually vote for any other democrats - that's the problem.

Justin said...

Wait... what kind of platform would you run on that even closely resembles Democratic?

P said...

I think you're a bitch.

RJ said...

see, that's the best part: I wouldn't run on a democratic platform! It's obvious to me that the dems have absolutely nothing and will not win a vote until the republicans can be discredited A LOT, so they need a good middle grounding right winger to go steal the republican base and reform what it means to be a democrat. Perfect!

RJ said...

or I could run on some sort of social issue, although I wouldn't favor increased regulation, so we'd need lots of jargon to obfuscate the issue.

Justin said...

Hopefully that jargon would include the word "obfuscate", I'm sure we could slide that one by the peasants. I volunteer to be either your campaign manager, chief strategist, or squash partner- your pick.

Why squash? I don't know either...

RJ said...

11 days later...