Friday, May 05, 2006

Bill Gates: I wish I were better at acting humble

While studying for finals I came across this article. This article is about how Bill Gates doesn't really want to be the richest man alive. Check this quote out: " Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates told an advertising conference in Washington state that he'd prefer not to be the world's richest person.

'I wish I wasn't,' Gates said in the interview broadcast online."

I'm speechless, Bill. He acts like its a disease or something. You wish you weren't? I understand that when you have that much money it feels like an endless supply, but seriously, who does he think he's kidding? If he doesn't want to be the richest man alive he can certainly solve that problem. In fact, I'll help him out. Bill Gates, if you ever read this you have my word that I will gladly accept any sized gift (above $0) that you would like to give me to help remove some of your wealth. If we can get enough people to volunteer then we might be able to lower Gates' bottom line enough to make him the second richest man in the world.

In all seriousness, there are plenty of ways to spend $65 billion. He could pay off some of the national debt, if he wanted. Or pay off the debt for some third world country. Or give even more money to AIDS research. Or nuclear fusion research. Or just start sending big checks randomly (or to me). You get the idea.

I like reading articles like these. It always entertains me to see rich people and celebrities pretending like they'd rather not be, especially when they could easily cure the problem they complain about if they really wanted to. Bill Gates doesn't want to be anything but the richest man alive, or he would be.

7 comments:

Justin said...

I think you misunderstand. It isn't that Bill Gates wants less than 65 billion, it's that he wants someone else to have more.

RJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RJ said...

I'm actually with Gates on this one. I want someone else to have more too - and I want that someone else to be me or Justin, because he'd buy me cool stuff, like an aircraft carrier, or at least a carrier pigeon.

Justin said...

If I had $65 billion, I'd quit my job and come live in your basement and play Oblivion all day. Oddly enough, that's the same thing I'd do with $45 million, or $36.50...

Greg said...

$36.50 billion, or just $36.50? Cause if its just the $36 I'll give it to you...

Greg said...

So, my word verification deal has a handicapped picture next to it. If you click on this picture it says numbers out loud to you. I assume this is for people who can't read the letters due to poor eye sight. If this is the case, how can they read my blog or comment on it?

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I would gladly help relieve Bill of some of his ill-gotten gains. He can send his check to me at the non- high-tech high school at which I toil....