Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hubcap Gang

There is a nefarious group afoot in Waco, Texas. At first I thought it was an innocent mistake when I noticed that my front passenger-side hubcap was missing. I thought that maybe the shop had some reason to have it off while replacing my timing belt and changing my oil, but it was the holiday weekend so I had to wait until Wednesday to ask them. But then I started to notice it. Car after car missing only one hubcap. All around Waco I've noticed them. All different makes and models, although it seemed more prevalent on the modest price range sedans, like mine. Suspicion grew and theories ran rampant, but there was still lingering doubt. When I got the call back from the shop, my worst fears were confirmed. The shop knew nothing of a missing hubcap -- I had lost it some time after they were done with my car. And there were all those other missing-one-hubcap cars around. There could be no denying it now, Waco is facing a serious crisis. Apparently some deranged group or individual finds pleasure in collecting single hubcaps from local cars. And I have fallen victim. And I can't help but wonder, when that group or person looks at my hubcap, do they remember me? Do they remember the intimate details of my car? Or am I just another chalk mark on the board, another successful conquest? I suppose these, like many other questions, will never be answered. But I can still hope that somewhere out there someone is loving my hubcap as much as I did, and that one day, in this life or the next, we will meet again.

6 comments:

Justin said...

I stole your hubcap, and then I sold it on eBay. Sorry.

I think a better question is- who still has hubcaps?

RJ said...

I think my car came with 1. The tire store salesman tried to sell me new ones, and new rims, and I mocked him for it, and then he added it to my invoice, and then I yelled at him for it, and now I'm never going there again.

Greg said...

wait, he tried to sell you rims and hubcaps?

P said...

you should have walked away right then...what a bastard.

Anonymous said...

I live in Bloomington mn. I see alot of cars missing one hupcap missing. I pretty sure some of them are following me around. I think the are up to no good. Please reply.

tyre changers said...

Size will also matter; some car hubcaps are designed to cover the entire outer face of the wheel, while others are designed to only cover the center of the wheel where the lug nuts are located.