Sunday, October 22, 2006

Under God

I was perusing "The Charter and The Bylaws of the Democratic Party of the United States" when I came across this phrase: "Under God, and for these ends and upon these principles, we do establish and adopt this Charter of the Democratic Party of the United States of America." Now, I'm not a person who really thinks that its that big of a deal that the pledge of allegiance says "under God," but I also wouldn't really care if the phrase were removed. When I found out that the phrase was added in the 1950's to combat Communism I felt that any argument about how it was connected to our founding principles became much weaker, and I pretty much stopped caring. However, many prominent Democrats didn't stop caring. I don't mind that they're upset by it and want it changed, but doesn't it seem logical that if it is an offensive phrase to them they would want it taken out of their party's charter? It just seems odd to me that they're fighting to take it out of a semi-official pledge that most people don't say after they are out of grade school and don't seem to mind at all that its part of the foundational document of their party. I know its different in many respects, but it still strikes me as odd.

3 comments:

CharlesPeirce said...

Can you cite some specific examples of people wanting to remove it? I don't think too many Democratic politicians actually want to do so--standing up for a parent who refuses to let their child say it is different, I think, from actually wanting to remove it.

Greg said...

Well, that's true, those are different things. Maybe that explains it. I think that all rational people should stand up for such a parent, regardless of their political standing. It seems unlikely that many Republicans would, though, to their discredit. I guess its just some members of the courts who feel it should be removed -- at least publicly -- not politicians (as far as I can find).

Best Poker Rooms said...

I recommend to you to look in google.com