Thursday, February 02, 2006

Sharing

I had the startling, but not shocking, revelation that most of the atoms in my body have probably been part of someone else's body. Not only have things passed through my body that have been part of another human, but the very atoms that make up my body made up someone else's. Its very interesting to me. I began thinking about it because someone mentioned the question of whether people who have been cremated can be resurrected. I find it mostly a silly question, but modestly interesting. However, my new revelation makes that line of thinking utterly ridiculous. If God needs elements of a physical body to resurrect then we are all in trouble. Who gets claim to the atoms that we share? I imagine that few people today have many atoms that they can call their own -- meaning they haven't belonged to another human. And this is another interesting thought to me. We can't really lay claim to the atoms in our bodies because they once were part of someone else's body, and one day they will be part of yet another's. This in turn brings up some interesting thought about the separation of body and soul. I reject the Western dichotomy between the two and believe that they are impossible to separate. So what do I do with this idea that each atom in my body is not unique to me? I think that it affirms that although body and soul cannot be separated, we are still more than the sum of our parts. One does not gain part of another's soul although they main gain part of their body. I'm still not sure exactly how I can now describe the fact that soul and body are one in light of this, although I am sure its possible and that I will be able to one day. I don't think that it has very profound implications for how we live our lives, but it is interesting to think about none the less. At least I find it so.

5 comments:

Justin said...

I get the atoms, because I'm the crux of human achievement and civilization. After me, the inevitable decline starts. I'm pretty sure God understands this, but I'm having a harder time convincing the rest of humanity...

RJ said...

I totally agree with your point, but you might want to re-think this whole atom thing. The chance of a few of your atoms having been part of someone else is probably high, but the chance of all, or even most, is probably nearly nothing. There are WAY more than enough atoms to populate the world a million times over....I just doubt all of yours have passed through people before. I have to go eat now - my wife is grabbing my ear - so I can't proof read or edit this comment.

GMack said...

So the atoms themselves may once have been from another person or even a tree, but the manner in which they are created is totally unique. Your genetic structure can never be exact like that of another human (excluding clones), but even with clones I often wonder because of multiple alleele trading during the early stages of a fetus' existence. The DNA code may be the same but maybe not in the same order. So, regardless as to whether the atoms are the same, you are in no way the same as anyone else. Trees and grass may have atoms that were once part of a human...does that make them any part human? One of the things that separates humans from other species is the DNA...and that cannot be carried (in an active form) from one species to another...you don't carry active DNA from past bodies.

Anonymous said...

I was taught to share in Sunday school, so I find no theological problems with sharing atoms.

P said...

How is it that most of our atoms were once someone else's? Are you talking about the Circle of Life in The Lion King? If so, I never want to talk to you again.