Thursday, July 14, 2005

Two Minutes

Redhurt said: "They should institute a 2 minute silence every morning in Iraq to mourn the dead and dying civilians and soldiers who continue to suffer on the front lines of our war against the imported insurgents. Better yet: they should institute it here in the US."

Accordingly, I am trying to get everyone in the US to observe two minutes of silence every day until the wars are over to honor our servicemen/women involved in them. I sent an email to Hugh Hewitt asking for his help -- he's the only high-profile person I could think of asking. Maybe I should ask some Senators or something, too. But, if you think that this sounds like a good idea then spread the word. I'll have more details -- like what time -- when I decide on them (I'm hoping to hear back from Hugh before I make final decisions). If Flash Mobs work, then I don't see why this can't. And its not to show support for the wars, but respect and honor for the servicemen/women, so you can still do it even if you hate the wars, GW, and anything else besides our men and women serving in the wars right now.

*************UPDATE*************
Well, Hugh wrote back to me already. He didn't say for sure whether he is going to endorse it or not, but I decided its probably easiest for anyone who wants to get involved if we just set some concrete details now. So, lets say 12:00PM EST. That sounds like a good time to me since most everybody will be up by then. No need to go out into the streets or anything very dramatic like that since we're trying to make this a daily thing. Do you think 2 minutes is too long every day? It seems like, given the precedent, anything less would show a lack of respect. Anyway, I'm going to start tomorrow, so anyone else who wants in spread the word and start doing it.

***********UPDATE**************
Sometimes when you're half asleep at work and its late in the day things that are crazy seem pretty normal. I think this was one of those times. I still think that the moment of silence is a good idea, but I no longer expect everyone in the US to do it. It would be cool though. I just think that its good for all of us to remember that there is a war going on and there are other Americans fighting and dying out there. This is just one way to do that.

I also probably blew any chance that Hugh Hewitt is going to read my blog, cause he probably thinks I'm a nut now ;)

No comments: